Monday, May 7, 2012

Taco Pie



This is a comfort food that is easy to prepare and everyone will love. I make my own taco seasoning to avoid processed weird stuff in my food. I usually make a double or triple batch and keep it in a container on the counter so I have some around if I need it. It's super easy to make and way better for you than store-bought taco seasoning mixes.

Ingredients for Taco Pie:
I use this biscuit dough recipe. But I use Ghee instead of vegan butter spread. I also use honey instead of agave.
2.5 cups of almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter (or coconut oil)
2 eggs
1 TBSP agave (I used honey)

2lbs ground meat of choice
1-2 TBSP taco seasoning
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
Cheese (optional)
taco toppings! (lettuce, black olives, tomato, onion, avocado, sour cream, etc.)

Directions for biscuit mix:
In a medium bowl combine almond flour, salt and baking soda.
In a large bowl blend together butter, eggs and agave/honey.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until a nice dough forms, it will be sort of sticky.
Set aside.

Directions for taco pie:
Brown ground meat in a pan, when fully cooked add 1-2 TBSP taco seasoning, 1 can diced tomato and 1/2 can of water Mix well and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and flavors are combined. Set aside.
Prepare biscuit mix per directions then flatten into a greased glass dish with wet hands (to prevent sticking). I sometimes use a square 9x9 dish for a thicker pie or a 11x13 dish for a thinner pie. Up to you. This time I made 1.5 batch of the biscuit mix and used a 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until dough looks almost set.
Remove form oven and top with meat mixture and cheese if you are using cheese, then return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes or so, check occasionally. Remove when the pie reaches your preferred level one doneness.

Cut into squares and serve topped with taco toppings. Enjoy!

Price will vary based on what type of meat you use, what quality cheese you buy and how many toppings you purchase.

Almond flour: $5.69 (closeout price)
Ghee: $9.99 (13oz jar)
Salt: You should have this.
Honey: $5.00
Baking Soda: You should have this.
Eggs: $2.69/doz
Meat: $7.00
Tomatoes: $100
Taco seasoning: will vary
Cheese: $3.69
Toppings: $5.00

Makes 12 servings.
Total: $40.06 (Give or take this will vary a lot depending on what you choose to use for yours and what you already have in your pantry. For example I did not have to buy Ghee, taco seasoning spices or honey because I already had some. This dish only cost me $24.07 to make because I had most of the ingredients already.)
Per serving: $3.33 (Cost me $2.00 per serving)

If you've stocked up on kitchen essentials like spices, almond flour when you find it for a good price, Ghee, honey etc. You'll find the things you make are not as expensive because you already have half of what you need for the recipe. A lot of times you'll only need to buy the meat and veggie because you already have everything else!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment