Monday, April 30, 2012

Hamburger helper

I've made this recipe once before and it turned out really good.  It felt like it was missing something, so after reading the reviews, I decided to add some allspice this time.

The format of this recipe on the original site isn't very user friendly - it is in paragraph form, so I will repost it here step by step. However, the original recipe is linked back at the top of this post. I also used ground bison instead of lamb.


1 lb ground beef
1lb ground lamb
1/2 onion chopped
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup beef stock
can of coconut milk
TBSP thai massaman curry
chopped carrots
1/2 large sweet potato chopped
2 tsp allspice (I added)
Frozen chopped spinach (I added)


Cook meat on medium low with 1/2 onion and clove or two of garlic.
Drain fat (If you want to, I did not).
Add beef stock to meat/onion mixture, can of coconut milk and a TBSP of thai massaman curry plus a couple chopped carrots and a large chopped potato. (Add additional spices of your choosing now)
Cover and simmer until veggies are soft.
About 10 minutes before serving toss in some frozen chopped spinach and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!

Your cost for this dish will really vary depending on what kind of meat you purchase. I already had some meat in the freezer. I think the bison was about $7 per 12oz (yikes!) and the organic beef was about $4 for 12oz The meat is going to be the bulk of your cost. Also you'll need to buy curry paste if you don't already have some. The veggies will be pretty cheap and you probably already have coconut milk in your pantry. This is one of those dishes that once you get the curry paste, you can use this as a sort of go-to meal when you don't have any other ideas. Curry paste is good in the fridge for about 2 years. It's really versatile and I bet would be great with other veggie combos, just be creative and use what you have on hand!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment